Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Sign

It was about 9:00 p.m. and I had gone to the grocery store with Alex. We had navigated each aisle of the store making sure we didn't forget anything and by the time we reached the check out counter I was exhausted. So we checked out and headed out the door. I was in a hurry because a storm was headed right towards us and I wanted to make it home before it started pouring down rain. I walked through the automatic doors pushing the very heavy and awkward cart while Alex went thru the manual doorway. Their was an elderly lady walking behind me with her bags of groceries. I really wasn't paying much attention to her because I was trying to hustle Alex along. Next thing I hear is change falling to the ground so I looked over only to see that this poor little lady had dropped her change purse. ALL of her change had dumped onto the ground. I shouted out to Alex to wait on me and he came running over to see what was going on. He sees this lady struggling with her sacks of groceries while attempting to bend over to pick up the mess. So he decided he would be a little gentleman and go help her. He picked up every last piece of change and put it back into her purse and then handed it to her and said "here you go ma'am". She looked at him with such appreciation and then looked at me. (I'm thinking ok what alien just took over my kids body?!)
Our conversation went something like this:
She says "What did you say his name was?" At this moment I notice that she has tears in her eyes.
I said "His name is Alex."
She paused for a moment and then says "That was my husbands name." From the way she said it I am assuming that he just recently passed away.
Then she went on to say "Isn't this a sign from him or what?!"

She said thank you once again and we just smiled at each other and went on our way. I thanked Alex for helping her and made a huge deal out of his kindness. He asked me "Mom what did she mean isn't this a sign?" I said "Well her husband's name was Alex and I think he must have died recently. She must have felt that he was hear with her in spirit and was giving her a sign to let her know." He was satisfied with my answer and we carried on with our trip home. While I was driving I got to thinking about names. I don't no any elderly person with the name Alex. Then I got to thinking wow that really was a sign from her husband! It was one of the neatest experiences I have had in a long time. I can only hope that the nice lady at the grocery store found some comfort in knowing that her husband may not be here physically but he certainly hasn't left her all alone!
blog comments powered by Disqus